We just got bananas and they went bad so fast.. so we knew we had to use them up. We decided to make banana bread but then banana bread is too boring so we decided to add one of our favorite things….. dark chocolate!! And we also don’t have a loaf pan so we decided to make muffins instead. But this way they are easy to take on the go and we can grab one on our way to class for breakfast or just a snack 🙂 (although we should probably start stocking up on the kitchen necessities… Christmas list: loaf pan!)
MARBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, normally we would substitute this with stevia, but we didnt have enough left! 😦
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt $
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add banana, egg substitute, and yogurt; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. (We don’t actually have a mixer so we just used good old elbow grease)
- Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into each individual cupcake papers coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife. Bake at 350° for about 35 to 40 minutes or until you insert a fork and it comes out clean. (we got this recipe from cooking light magazine but we tweaked it a little bit with substituting the plain yogurt for greek yogurt, semi sweet chocolate chips with dark chocolate chips and all purpose flour with whole wheat flour)